Get the skills and certification needed to land entry-level jobs right out of high school. Become certified and work toward college credits through the Veterinary Assistant program at the Skill Center.
What types of skills will students perform in this program?
A day in the life of a Veterinary Assistant is rarely routine! Students will learn the following skills:
- Administering medicines
- Feeding, housing, and caring for animals
- Assisting with examinations and diagnostic tests
- Assisting with surgery
- Monitoring a pet's pulse, temperature, respiration, and overall wellbeing
The work is sometimes hard, repetitive and dirty, but people who love animals find it both interesting and extremely rewarding!
As part of the Veterinary Assisting curriculum, students will learn:
- Preparing examination or treatment rooms
- Restraining animals during procedures
- Preparing equipment and instruments for surgical procedures
- Assisting Veterinarians during surgery
- Appropriately recognize and assist with emergencies